Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Responding to Chapters on Responding, Peer Review, Networking, etc.

First off, Kara Poe Alexander's assignment on technology and literacy exhibits some striking similarities with my Textbook Chapter assignment. Her assignment focuses more on writing within career fields whereas mine addresses both career fields and the writing expectations of advanced courses within majors; however, my presentation of the assignment tends to privilege career fields (which reminds me, I ought to include the sample interview questions that I created for my students as part of the assignment prompt). One slight criticism of her assignment, then, comes from my own experience with a similar assignment. Students are not accustomed to conducting interviews as part of their research, and many of them will instinctively wait till the last minute to make arrangements. Then, many of them will realize that making such arrangements cannot be done effectively at the last minute (because of delays in email correspondence, availability, etc.). I require students to interview a professor within their field, but Alexander discourages this, instead requiring students to interview a professional currently working within the career field. While I can see some benefits to this approach, it will almost certainly further complicate the already potentially complex process of arranging such an interview. Also, I would be concerned about reifying the notion that the academy is somehow removed from the "real world," or, even worse, encourage the belief that "those who can't do, teach." With that said, I was pleased to find such an assignment within the book as it gives me further encouragement to continue developing my own version of it.

Since I keep referencing the textbook chapter assignment, I thought that it might be helpful to provide an example of student work. Thus, I have posted a student's essay to my audience wiki after receiving written permission from the author.

I would also like to add a warning to the list of possible things that can go wrong with multimodal compositions. Sylvia Church and Elizabeth Powell's chapter again raises the issue of file types. People employing various types of video cameras should be aware that some cameras that save videos to an internal hard drive use unusual files types that will require conversion to more standard file types, and that conversion may itself be a complicated process. For instance, I know that some Panasonic and JVC camcorders save their videos as .mod files. and these can be difficult to convert to a more usable format. I say this from my own experience with a Panasonic camcorder, and it's something that you may want to mention to students if they're considering borrowing someone else's camcorder for a video project.

Lastly, the chapter on building bridges with writing centers raises some great points about how an informed writing center can be a valuable tool in helping students navigate a complicated project.

I always encourage students to utilize our writing center, and I have used it myself, but I have not had as much interaction with the staff or the administration as I could in order to further help them help my students. Perhaps encouraging more interaction between the English department and the writing center would be a good place to start.

2 comments:

  1. Do you know what program your student used to do the layout of that assignment? Is that just a template, or was it designed in a layout program like InDesign or Quark?

    I ask because it had some interesting design elements (also some design problems, but not many) and I wondered if you had to teach the student to use some software or if they did that on their own. What do you require as far as the design is concerned?

    How would it complicate your "Textbook" assignment if you noted that books/magazines/etc. are designed in spreads (the two open pages are designed to work together as a single visual composition—at least the good ones)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, my instructions regarding design were pretty simple and vague because my class wasn't in a computer classroom, and I was aware that my students had varying levels of access to and experience with different programs. So we looked at some real textbooks for examples, and then I told them that I wasn't going to grade them on how professional it looks, but that I wanted to be able to see evidence of them putting some thought into the layout and appearance. So some people used two or three columns, added a couple pieces of clip art, and changed the font color of their key terms. Other students, like Chaz, put a lot of extra thought and effort into the design. As for the program, he did the whole thing using Microsoft Word 2007. I don't even think that he used a template. By the end of the quarter, most of my students remarked that this was their favorite assignment, and that they really enjoyed the opportunity to get creative with it. When we talked about the assignment ;though, I really didn't stress the importance of creativity as much as the importance of their content. The design portion was almost an afterthought.

    Your spread idea would be interesting, but it seems like it would be limited perhaps more by hardware then software. After all, the screen size and resolution can make a big difference in how well you can view a two page spread all at once. I'm also not sure how relevant it would be to this particular genre, but it's definitely the kind of thing I would consider if I was teaching a class in which we were designing a journal or something similar (some of my own design experience comes from just such a class, which I thoroughly enjoyed).

    ReplyDelete