Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I want to start out by saying that I really enjoyed the most recent batch of readings focusing on wikis, and they sparked my thinking about other ways that I can incorporate wikis into the classroom. For instance, Cleary et al. mention Phillipson's practice of posting poems on a wiki and having the students annotate them, then they respond to each other's annotations. I wish I had thought of that a week ago because the students in the literary survey I'm TAing are currently studying sonnets by Petrarch and Wyatt. I've been trying to come up with ways to encourage more students to participate in their discussion sections, and I think that and annotation and response assignment like this would offer a great option for participating in class, especially to those students who tend to be quiet or shy.

The readings also made me think about the multimodal assignment that we're each expected to design. I came up with an assignment last spring that asked students to research writing in their disciplines, and then each wrote a short textbook chapter to present their research in a way that someone just entering their field could understand. I've been trying to come up with some way to make the assignment multimodal (more than it already is, since I was already asking students to think about and include visual elements). Wikis might be the answer. If I revise the assignment to ask them to design a wiki page presenting the information, then it would allow the class to create a kind of database on the writing expectations of various disciplines. Then, following Dickie Selfe's advice, I could offer extra credit to students who are willing to edit the wiki. The best part is, each new class could build on, update, and revise what previous classes had done. At least, that what I'm think thus far.

I also enjoyed discovering that the BGSU page on wikis uses the same CommonCraft video that I use to explain wikis to my own students. I mentioned this video in class a couple of weeks ago, but here it is if you haven't yet watched it (or for anyone viewing this blog who isn't in English 792E):

6 comments:

  1. Hi John,

    Thanks for sharing the video. I see how well it works for students. In contrast, the first and only time I actually get to know wiki didn't call much attention as I felt like being thrown into the wiki forum, having to contribute something. With Cleary et al.'s article and your plans and thoughts, I am motivated to employ the technology into my teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon,

    I like your idea for them multimodal assignment. My own feelings about wikis is that they would be great for discussion and brainstorming activities, and especially for gathering dissensus; however, I'm still unsure about that kind of collaboration beyond those processes of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon, I really like your multimodal assignment. We used Wikis quite frequently in library school--a very enjoyable collaborative experience. Even though I was at the graduate level, I do not think you will need as much editing (to the extreme of offering extra credit to a select few), as you are imagining for the undergraduate level. What is your method of evaluation? Have you thought about translating the collaborative effort to individual assignments breaking free from the Wiki?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to have your opinion John, as someone who has used wikis, do you ever run into the problem of having one primary author to the wiki? That is to say that one group member contributes the most and the others offer criticism and evaluation, revision and refinement?

    It doesn't have to be here, we can talk about it :-). Great video!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I came up with an assignment last spring that asked students to research writing in their disciplines, and then each wrote a short textbook chapter to present their research in a way that someone just entering their field could understand."

    My students always seem to struggle with the difference between reports and research papers. Did you have this problem with the assignment?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matthew and Claudia, I think that I'm envisioning the initial student effort as primarily individual, with each student creating his/her own page as a way of presenting findings on the types of writing within his/her discipline. The collaborative allowances of the wiki would facilitate and encourage peer review of these individual pages, which of course would be a requirement of the assignment. That said, if two students have the same major, then they may want to collaborate on at least part of their pages. The great thing about wikis though is that it super easy to trace what each person has contributed, so students could decide to collaborate further, and it wouldn't necessarily complicate my ability to assess each one's work.

    Bryan, I haven't really run into that problem, but it may just be because I still haven't used wikis that much. However, I find that a combination of strategies that require accountability can largely mitigate the chances of such occurrences, and I would be happy to elaborate on those in another post or in person.

    Ashley, I assume that by "reports" you mean that they represent information without interpreting it or adding much of their own thoughts to it. This assignment required the synthesis of various sources; however, it did not encourage the kind of argumentative stance that most of my research-based assignments require. Thus, I suppose that the short answer to your question would be, "sort of, but that's kinda what the prompt asks for." That said, many of the students did seem to feel empowered by trying to sound like an authority on writing within their own disciplines. Also, their final essay assignment was a more traditional researched argument.

    ReplyDelete